Posted by: little sprout creations
July 5, 2010
After working hard this week on favors for an upcoming surprise party, we kicked back this holiday weekend and baked some yummy “Patriotic Pinwheels” for us and our friends. The recipe is below:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter (cubed and cold)
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar for dusting
red & blue food coloring
1. Combine flour, baking powder & salt.
2. Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well combined.
4. Beat in vanilla.
5. Add flour mixture and stir to combine.
6. Divide dough into 2 parts. Form 1 half into a 4×4 inch square (will be about 1-1.5 inches thick). Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
7. Add red food coloring (paste is best) and work in until dough is very red.
8. Form red dough into a 4×4 inch square, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
9. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes
10. Cut each dough square into 4 strips. Keep out 1 red strip and 1 white strip, put the rest back in the fridge. 11. Roll each strip separately between two pieces of parchment paper. Will be approximately 6×7 inch sheets.
12. Place white sheet onto red sheet and roll tightly into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate.
13. Follow steps 10-11 for remaining strips of dough. You will have 4 logs.
14. Refrigerate logs for 1 hour, and then roll logs on the counter to make sure that the log doesn’t get flattened on one side. Refrigerate for 2 more hours, and then freeze overnight.
15. Next day, preheat oven to 350.
16. Add blue food coloring to 1/2 cup sugar and mix until sugar is very blue.
17. Unwrap one dough log, and roll in blue sugar. Slice dough into 1/4 inch slices, place on greased baking sheet, and bake for 9-11 minutes.